in the heart of the Frontier, amid lakes and rolling ranchland,
Williams Lake has been the focal point and service centre
for the ranches of the Cariboo and Chilcotin regions since
the turn of the century. The founding of Williams Lake can
be traced back to a single building in the Glendale/Comer
area, a tiny chapel built in a Shuswap settlement in the 1840s.
With the influx of European fur traders and gold prospectors,
the church and the encampment flourished to become a small
service centre. Initially bypassed in 1863 by the Cariboo
Wagon Road, and all the lucrative traffic that passed along
it, Williams Lake's recovery was launched with the arrival
of the Pacific Great Eastern Railway in 1919. A village soon
appeared, and prospered, around the train station, which still
stands at the foot of Oliver Street.
Click for more information on Williams