The small 15-hectare
Emory Creek Provincial Park has a quaint historic feel to it. Although
the park does not boast facilities for typical outdoor recreation,
it is the subtlety and peacefulness of the park that draws people
to the area. The Canadian Pacific Railway is located nearby, providing
distant sounds of trains - ghosts of Emory Creek’s once productive
The park is located at the old town site of Emory, which during
the mid 1800s was a bustling trading settlement with a population
of about 500. During the 1858 gold rush, the area was the site of
one of the richest gold finds. But when gold prospects diminished,
people moved north up the Fraser River. In 1879, the Canadian Pacific
Railway chose Emory to be its western terminus. The small community
grew to a town consisting of thirteen streets with its own newspaper,
various shops, a brewery, nine saloons and a sawmill. When the Canadian
Pacific Railway decided that nearby Yale would be its major centre,
Emory was left to 'sigh and die.' European people first explored
this area in 1808 when Simon Fraser came through the area searching
for a route to the Pacific Ocean. Before Simon Fraser, Coast Salish
people inhabited the area.
There is not much to do in the way of typical recreational activities,
as the main recreational activity seems to be just relaxing in a
peaceful environment away from the pressures of city life. Emory
creek and the Fraser River do provide some recreational activities.
You can try your luck for salmon in the mighty Fraser River or for
the gold that eluded miners over a decade ago. When panning in BC be sure not to encroach
on other's mineral rights.
Historic Emory Creek has 34 vehicle/tent campsites. The park is
open from May to mid October, and fees are collected during this
time. Conveniently located beside Hwy 1 and the Fraser River, this
park fills up quickly in summer. Only basic facilities are provided
- picnic tables, pit toilets, fire pits, firewood and water.
Emory Creek Provincial Park is located 11 miles (18 km) north
of Hope and 3.5 miles (6 km) south of Yale on Highway 1.